3 quarts water
1 small onion quartered
3 celery stalks cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large garlic clove
1 bay leaf, optional
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Bring all the ingredients to a boil and cover and reduce heat. Simmer on low for 45 minutes or until done. Allow everything to cool for an hour and remove chicken from broth. Cut up the chicken into cubes or shreds and save into 2 cup portions for recipes, such as chicken pot pie, enchiladas, quesadillas, tacos, fajitas, pizza and more. Freeze the portions and thaw the day before use. This chicken is so tasty my children will eat it plain without any sauce. It also makes the best homemade chicken salads served in whole wheat tortillas or pitas.
Strain the broth pouring it through a piece of cheese cloth and discard the vegetables. Store the broth in 1 or 2 cup portions for other recipes calling for chicken broth. Freeze your portions in a tight sealing container or freezer bag. It is non-processed broth you know is good for you and contains very little sodium compared to the canned versions. I love to use my homemade chicken broth in my baked potato cheese soup, minestrone and chicken noodle soup or any other recipe calling for chicken broth.
Here's some more meal ideas to use your chicken:
- Chicken Salad (mix light mayo, grape halves, toasted pecans if you like-stuff in whole wheat pita or tortilla)
- Chicken Pizza (put chicken on a Boboli crust with sauce and cheese)
- Chicken Tacos (season shredded chicken-don't cook chicken again-just warm up)
- Chicken Fajitas (saute peppers and onions and seasoning--warm up chicken with veges)
- Chicken casserole (shredded or cubed chicken works well)
- Chicken Pot Pie (cubed chicken works well)
- Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches (add coleslaw on top if desired)
- Salad with cold chicken strips on top
- Chicken Panani (Grilled bread with chicken strips, provolone cheese, pesto or roasted red peppers)
- Chicken Quesadillas (Grill whole wheat tortialla stuffed with shredded chicken, mexican cheese, black beans or refried beans, corn-top with sour cream and salsa)
- Chicken Noodle Soup (use cubed or shredded chicken and your chicken broth)
- Chicken Chili (use cubed chicken instead of beef)
We need to freeze some more chicken don't we?
Chicken is still on sale for 1.99 a pound at Ingles until Saturday, October 4. Get it while it's at a hot price.